I started this project thinking that I probably wouldn't finish it. I wanted to jump in on the Animate Clay monthly challenge, but I started too late. It was also too much of a distraction from my primary projects. One day I'll have to focus in on participating and getting something done for Spess and Co.
However, much was learned here. I've never really made a successful mold before. I did a few sad attempts with Model Magic, but that stuff tightens up and doesn't hold shape. This worked great! I feel like I've acquired a new super power! Level up!
Besides, I had all the materials lying around so it didn't really me cost anything.
The theme for the challenge was "Sneeze," so I sculpted this funny lil' dude here out of Chavant Clay. Look at em', he even looks like a sneeze.
I put him on a bed of softer modeling clay and built up the sides.
Made walls out of the harder stuff.
Then, poured in the plaster. Not the good stuff, either. Just some cheap, off-the-shelf, craft-store plaster.
I let it dry for a full 24 hours, even though the cure time was much shorter. Then, I peeled all the clay off. First the soft stuff, then I scooped the hard stuff out of the mold with clay tools.
Empty headed. Eh? Eh? Get it?
I skipped the step of cleaning out the mold with alcohol, it didn't really seem to matter much. Maybe next time. I poured in and sponged on some balloon rubber latex. This stuff is AWESOME! Stronger and stretchier than the other latex I was using.
I did about three layers (which turned out to be too thick in some spots, remember for next time). Doesn't take long to dry, maybe 15-20 min. I gave it an hour or so with a small fan to be thorough.
To release, I rubbed in a little talcum powder. When the rubber is fully dry, it peels of the plaster like a dream, the most satisfying part of the process.
Cut off the excess and painted it with equal parts acrylic paint and pros-aide adhesive. It turned out a little too thick and plasticy, so next time I'll try tinting the balloon rubber first.
That's all! This was a great experiment, not for the results I got this time, but for the newly learned skills I can put towards something more interesting. Big honking monsters, hand puppets, and, of course, stop motion stuff.
For a truly excellent tutorial on this kind of stuff, go here ---> (((BOOP!)))